Friday, March 10, 2006


one step at a time

Another long overdue post thanks to non-stop tests and whatnot...Last Sunday, Thiam Beng, Sueh Lung, yang, Brian and I took part in the KL International Marathon. That's nothing new..but this year, instead of joining the 7km run, i signed up for the half-marathon..

First off, I don't know how I let yang persuade me into running 3 times what I usually run, and more than double my longest run. And add that to the fact that the last time i ran before that was A-G-E-S ago. Best of all, we played 2-hrs of futsal the previous day, so my legs were aching before the run even started! In that moment of folly, i already paid yang 30 bucks, so I thought, what the heck.

F690

Thiam Beng and Sueh Lung joined the full marathon, (that's bloody 42 kilo m's btw) and my hat's off to them for finishing within the 6-hr qualifying mark. Reached there around 5am I think but there was already a throng of runners gearing up for the marathon. I failed to spot kennysia among all the bald africans and chinese women who looked like men.

So, yang, brian and I started off rather well, reaching the 10km mark in 1hr10mins but what was bloody annoying was, the 1st 3 refreshment stations we reached were already out of drinks..We pay 30bucks and they can't even make sure they have enough for all the runners?!?!
Anyway, I ran with yang for the first 15 km or so till my body finally gave in. My legs just refused to move any faster than a slow jog stroll. Best part is, within 2 km of the finishing line, I decided to force myself to run again and just at that moment, the worst cramps I ever felt in my life attacked both my poor legs. I was momentarily paralysed waist down as I staggered to the sidewalk to sit down. A kind stranger stopped by to ask if I was OK and helped me stretch my legs. The lady runner was really helpful and I was up and running walking within minutes. So anyway, I managed to finish the whole 21km, but failed to break the 3hr mark by 6 minutes which means I don't get a cert!!

finishing is everything.

GAAAHHH!! really really regret not pushing myself more but i got a lovely medal in the end anyway. Definitely better than all the previous ones i got.

(L-R)Power 10km run '05, KLIM half-marathon '06, adidas 7km run '05

Looks much more..proper..=p


What's so fun about putting your body under physical torment for 3 hours on a Sunday morning? you say. Well, it's the personal satisfaction you get at the end of every run knowing you made it becaused you persevered and pushed yourself to the limit just to get to the finishing line.

I finished in 1111st position according to the chip system. among the last few of the finishers.
Embarassed? no.
Dissapointed? yesh. but I'll definitely give 21k another try some other time.

Posted by ~z at 8:59 PM